Man charged with stealing mini-van

FAIRMONT – A 25-year-old Fairmont man faces a felony charge for allegedly stealing a motor vehicle in Fairmont last week.

According to information from the Fairmont Police Department:

Around 7:45 a.m. June 10, police received a report of a vehicle stolen from North Elm Street in Fairmont. The van owner said the keys were left in the ignition, but no one had permission to take the vehicle.

Later that afternoon, the missing van was located in an apartment complex parking lot in Fairmont. Police saw leftover food remnants inside that is served at a local gas station chain. The owner said the remnants were not in the vehicle before it was stolen.

Police obtained video surveillance from the gas station and saw a man who arrived in a mini-van that appeared to be the stolen one. Some still frames were obtained in order to identify the man. Another police officer recognized a tattoo on the man’s neck.

Shortly after midnight June 13, a vehicle with a burned-out headlight was stopped on Woodland Avenue. A man at the scene matched the man seen on the video surveillance, and he was placed under arrest. The man was identified as Dustin Michael Chabrier. Chabrier’s license indicated he lived near where the van was located after the theft.

When questioned about the vehicle theft, Chabrier said he “screwed up again,” and that “It don’t help me either way, so it doesn’t matter.”

The charge of a stolen motor vehicle carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Man charged with threats, assault

FAIRMONT – A 25-year-old Fairmont man is charged with terroristic threats and domestic assault after allegedly threatening to kill a 13-year-old girl.

According to information from the Fairmont Police Department:

Shortly after 9 a.m. June 13, police responded to the 400 block of Lake Avenue for a domestic assault. A woman there reported her son, Anthony Grey Salter, told her and a 13-year-old girl at the residence that the devil was going to possess them and they were going to die. Police saw the girl on the couch crying, and she said Salter accused her of making him feel sick, and that he was going through all her things and threatened to kill her if he kept getting bad feelings from her.

The woman reported she also heard Salter threaten the girl that he would kill her or have someone kill her. The woman said Salter claimed he believes the devil has possessed the girl and that it is making him sick.

Salter was found and placed under arrest. He denied making any threats against the girl.

The charge of terroristic threats carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. The domestic assault charge carries a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

St. Cloud printing plant to close

ST. CLOUD (AP) – Printing giant Quad/Graphics plans to close its commercial printing operation in St. Cloud in late August, affecting about 280 workers.

The St. Cloud Times reports some Quad/Graphics employees were informed Wednesday of the plans.

A spokeswoman for the Wisconsin-based company says the last day of production at the 237,000-square-foot plant will be determined later.

The closing stems from Quad/Graphics’ recent $100 million acquisition of Brown Printing Co. of Waseca. Many of the plants in the Quad/Graphics network are equipped to do the special interest or short-run publications done in St. Cloud.

Job opportunities will be available at other Quad/Graphics plants. The company also has Minnesota plants in Shakopee and Waseca.