Police: Man rammed squad car

FAIRMONT – A 20-year-old Fairmont man, Adam Robert Schultz, faces felony charges of second-degree assault and fleeing police after allegedly ramming a police car during a high-speed pursuit early Saturday morning.

According to information from the Fairmont Police Department and Martin County Sheriff’s Office:

Around 2:40 a.m., police received information that Schultz was traveling toward Fairmont from the Welcome area, and that he had been consuming alcohol.

Police were positioned on Lake Avenue on the western edge of Fairmont when Schultz’s vehicle was spotted. A police officer followed Schultz’s vehicle and saw him turn into a garage and shut off his lights. However, a few moments later, the lights came back on and the vehicle continued eastbound toward Fairmont.

The police officer began following again, and saw Schultz’s vehicle cross over the double yellow line twice. The officer also noted Schultz was traveling 45 mph in a 30 mph zone. The officer activated his lights to make a traffic stop, but Schultz’s vehicle did not stop and turned onto South Main Street.

The vehicle ran the stop sign at South Main Street and Albion Avenue, and accelerated away from the officer. There were several instances when Schultz’s vehicle was traveling southbound in the northbound lane, and had reached 50 mph by the time he reached South State Street.

Schultz turned west and began fishtailing, hitting the north-side curb, then a high pile of snow and became airborne.

The officer placed his vehicle along the south curb. Schultz’s vehicle accelerated and rammed the officer’s driver side door. The officer attempted to get his vehicle alongside Schultz’s vehicle because of another vehicle approaching. Schultz then accelerated and rammed the officer’s door again, and continued to travel south on Albion Avenue, at speeds in excess of 70 mph by Belle Vue Road.

Once the vehicles neared Hall Street, Schultz braked and skidded, and ended up sliding into the Janzen’s Greenhouse business, hitting a large flower pot and the business sign.

The driver was confirmed to be Schultz, and when he exited his vehicle, he refused to comply with the officer’s orders and fled. The officer’s police dog was used to capture and apprehend Schultz.

A Martin County Sheriff’s deputy assisting at the scene performed field sobriety tests on Schultz and believed he was intoxicated. Schultz refused to submit to a breath, blood or urine test.

Schultz has been on conditional release for charges of criminal sexual conduct, and one of his release conditions is that he not consume alcohol.

The damage to the police car was in excess of $1,000.

The second-degree assault charge carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison and a $14,000 fine.

Schultz also faces a felony obstructing the legal process charge and first-degree criminal damage to property; each charge carries maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Fleeing police in a motor vehicle carries a maximum penalty of three years and one day in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Schultz is also charged with driving while impaired – refusal to test and a misdemeanor count of driving while impaired.