Driver accused of running man over

FAIRMONT – A 28-year-old St. James man faces charges of second-degree assault and criminal vehicular operation after allegedly running over a man and attempting to run over others at a gathering in Dunnell earlier this month.

According to information from the Martin County Sheriff’s Office:

Around 3:40 a.m. June 9, police were dispatched to a residence in Dunnell, regarding a man who had been run over. The driver of the vehicle was identified as Felipe Davila, and law enforcement was told he had intentionally run over a man and aimed his vehicle at several others before leaving the scene. The man who was hit by Davila’s vehicle was conscious and alert and told the deputy at the scene that Davila ran him over on purpose and that he was dragged for several feet.

The man was admitted to the hospital and was treated for cracked ribs, internal bleeding, and neck and back pain.

Davila’s vehicle was stopped by police in Estherville, and he was placed under arrest and transported back to Martin County. When the Martin County deputy took Davila into custody, a strong smell of alcohol was noted, and Davila was being uncooperative.

Witnesses at the party reported the fight that broke out between Davila and other individuals took place after Davila was acting inappropriately with some of the women at the party. Davila got into his truck, made a U-turn and drove into the yard. The man who was hit by the truck approached the vehicle because Davila was his ride home. But when the man got close to Davila’s vehicle, Davila accelerated and struck him, dragging him for several feet.

The deputy noticed marks in the yard that were consistent with witness statements of Davila driving forward in the yard and backing up making attempts to hit people with his truck.

Davila told the deputy he was the one who was attacked and that he was attempting to get away and only struck people with his vehicle in self-defense. Davila was altering between crying and getting angry and swearing at the deputy.

While Davila consented to a breath test at the law enforcement center, he was not following proper directions, and attempting to block the mouthpiece with his tongue and lips. After several tries, it was considered a refusal to test. A background check showed Davila had his license revoked for alcohol-related offenses in 2006.

Davila is charged with second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, which carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison and a $14,000 fine. A charge of criminal vehicular operation carries a maximum penalty of three years in jail and a $10,000 fine. Davila is also charged with a felony driving while impaired charge and refusal to test.